Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Janelle Just Finished The Heat of the Moon

Ok, so I just finished The Heat of the Moon. I thought it was ok, but I found myself thinking, man this is cheeeeeesey! That is not to take away from the fact that I couldn't stop reading, I just had to know how it was all going to play out for Rachel. And, if I had to do it all over, I would read it again.

I'm not sure I really liked how it ended...I wanted the "Oprah Ending"...ya know? More glitz, more pay attention to me...here I am...ya know? I won't say anymore as I don't wanna spoil it for people still reading. It left me wondering a lot of things.

I'm glad we read this book for book club because I would not have read it on my own. It's good to widen your horizons once and a while, right?

And if you don't read my blog, I just finished reading The Glass Castle and A Wolf at the Table. If you've not read The Glass Castle, you need to read it. Seriously. Just. Go. Read. It. NOW!

See ya'll Monday at book group, 7pm, right?

janelle

2 comments:

mordecai said...

Some semi-deep ruminations on Jeanette Walls' "The Glass Castle."

Thanks Joan, it's a wonderful and evocative book. Her wit and irony remind me of Irving and Kingsolver. The very last sentence distills her tale...and life: “A wind picked up, rattling the windows, and the candle flames suddenly shifted, dancing along the border between turbulence and order.”

As I read I listened to several YOU TUBE versions of Leonard Cohen's hauntingly beautiful "Hallelujah." K.D. Lang's is my favorite: "Love is not a victory march/It's a cold and it's a broken hallelujah."

In William Goldman's "The Princess Bride" the princess encounters an embittered young man who informs her that, "Life is pain and anyone who tells you different is selling something."

Cheers and Chow,
Leon the Lesser

ya ya's mom said...

leon, i love you man, but when you write i have to think waaaaaaay too hard to understand it :) which is a total compliment!